Who else loves risotto? It is a favourite in our house so I decided to create a healthy, plant based version. This one is loaded with peppers which are great source of vitamin A and vitamin C and tomatoes which are full of antioxidants. This meal goes down really well with Jasper (my one year old) so it is also really family friendly. The quantities listed below are to making a serving for 3 people.
So to make this risotto you will need:
- 190g risotto rice
- 2 peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stock cube (or you can make a stock using 1 tsp yeast extract and 1 tsp mixed herbs)
- 600ml water
- 2 garlic cloves or 2 tsp frozen chopped garlic
- 3 tbsps tomato puree
To make the risotto:
- Chop up the two peppers, place in an oven proof dish, drizzle with half the olive oil and roast for about 25 minutes.
- Whilst the peppers are roasting, fry the garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the rice to the oil and garlic and mix it in until the rice becomes glossy.
- Make the stock by mixing the stock cube with the water and add this to the rice bit by bit until it is all nearly absorbed.
- Mix in the tomato puree and leave the risotto to cook until it is the desired consistency and mix in the roasted pepper.
- Serve the risotto, add some basil for garnish and enjoy!
- Optional: serve with some falafel for a protein boost.
Thanks for reading, Jen x