Black beans are a great plant based source of protein as well as being high in fibre and they also contain good amounts of magnesium and potassium. So I thought I would share my current favourite burger recipe made using them because I think they are a great healthy summer food. I find black beans are one of the best legumes to make burgers out of because they mash well which makes them easy to shape.
Jasper loves these burgers as well because they can be made in to bite sized pieces that he can feed to himself so I know your little ones would like them too!
This recipe would serve 3 to 4 people depending on their appetite.
So the ingredients you will need to make these burgers are:
- 400g packet of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (1tbsp flax seed, 3tbsp water and leave for 5 minutes)
- 1 clove of pressed garlic or 1 tsp frozen garlic
- 50g breadcrumbs (I made mine by blitzing up 1 wholemeal pitta bread in the NutriBullet)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Coconut oil for frying the burgers.
Then the burgers are super simple to make just:
- Mash up the beans in a bowl using a fork
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the beans, except the coconut oil, and stir thoroughly
- Shape the mixture in to burgers (I got 6 big burgers and 4 bite sized burgers out of this mixture) and leave to stand in the fridge for about 15 minutes
- Fry in coconut oil for several minutes on each side until the burger is cooked through
- Serve on a fresh bun with mashed avocado and a dash of tomato ketchup! And enjoy!
Let me know what you think of this recipe or if try it in the comments below, on Instagram or on Twitter.
Thanks for reading, Jen x